15 Ways To Find Inspiration
As an entrepreneur, and particularly as a writer, I like to be able to tap into inspiration at the drop of a hat.
Luckily, there are many things that inspire me - watching the world go by from my balcony next to the sea, spending time with my kids, listening to a piece of music or reading a book - but sometimes even my regular go-to inspiration injections don't quite cut it, and I need to really up the ante to get that hit.
So what can we do when we need a shot of inspiration but it's just not happening?
Here's my top fifteen suggestions:
- Take the day off and only do things you love. Spend time with yourself.
- Try something new that takes you out of your comfort zone.
- Watch a video, or listen to a podcast, of someone who's overcome a challenge.
- Read a book that stretches your thinking process.
- Surround yourself with nature.
- Use your creativity and express your problem in a different way - draw it, paint it, or even sculpt it.
- Listen to music that moves you; and then explore what it is that touches your heart.
- Spend time with children. Get down on their level and try to see the world through their eyes (it's always so much simpler than the adult world...).
- Initiate a conversation with someone new, and listen to their experiences and views.
- Turn the world off (including all your devices), let your mind wander, and start writing. Random nonsense, or perfect prose; both work.
- Go to the gym, or take some exercise outside. Let those endorphins flow.
- Sit in a coffee bar and watch the world go by. NB: Really watch, don't just observe.
- Clear your desk or the room you spend most of your time in. The act of de-cluttering and organising can have a cleansing effect on your mind.
- Fail. Not feeling inspired? Oddly enough, still carrying on and then making a mistake, or failing, can be just the inspiration we need.
- Reflect on all you've achieved, how you got there, and how awesome you truly are. Often, instead of looking outside ourselves for inspiration, what we really need to do is look in the mirror at the amazing person we are. YOU are.
Inspiration comes in all shapes and sizes, and can be found everywhere. Next time you're feeling less than in the zone, give one of the items on the list a go. I'd love to hear how you get on. Comment below with your favourite way of getting inspired.